Tuesday 28 May 2019

Someone is knocking


I open the door of my big safe house. Oh no, it's somebody collecting. What is it this time? Young person with big wide smile all set to talk to me but no, I'm busy. Lost in a tune and I can't bear to go through the spiel. Sorry I'm busy. Close the door. Go back inside.
***

I've been on the boat for weeks. Too many of us but already some dead and gone. More space on the boat but not much. Still crowded. Can't move. I'm thirsty, barely alive. I need a drink. Desperate for a drink. Water. Mouth dry. Throat cracked. I dream of water. One child left. I'm holding her and she's not crying.

I lost her. Just me crawling on to the beach without her. Lots of us. Crawling on to the beach watching men in uniforms coming towards us.

***


There is a tree overhanging my veranda with a small bird singing. Brown. Small. Ordinary. No special markings. Nice chirping. Flies away.




No comments:

Post a Comment