Friday 4 October 2019

Thin, black and shiny

There's going to be a new me. I've decided.

So yesterday I ordered a fitness watch and today it arrived. It's thin, black and shiny. This is to motivate me to keep getting out of the writing chair and jumping up and down for a few minutes so that my legs don't drop off from lack of use.

When I activated it, I had to set up various things. One was my target for steps per day. The suggestion was 10,000. Hmmm I thought, I'll never manage that. I'll try 8,000. But I know very well that it's only on the occasional day that I do anything like 8,000 steps and sometimes it's as low as 1,000.

I looked up how many steps a day you need to be considered active and found that anything under 5,000 was considered sedentary. Oh dear. And I thought that I walked quite a lot and I do ... from time to time....

Decided to lower my target to 2,000 but couldn't find how to do it so I'm doomed to fail most days.

Still, it looks quite nice - and I've done over 2,000 steps since I got it this afternoon. I've discovered that it works in response to arm movement... so you can do it sitting down.... not that I'd do that, of course.

And yes, I'm reading The Other Hand by Chris Cleave. It's pulling me in very fast. Can't stop reading it.

And I'm still writing. Rewriting. Have reached chapter 12 in Talking, can you hear me? I'm putting Esme's voice in the first person and it changes not only the feel of the story, it changes the content. It changes 'what' she says. It's interesting.

How are you getting on, my friends? Are you doing more words than steps? Or more steps than words? Just imagine if we could do 8,000 words a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment